Snoring & Sleep Apnea
Snoring & sleep apnea can disturb your sleep and overall health.
Snoring occurs when the tongue falls into the back of the throat. This narrows the airway and causes air to move quickly through the passage, resulting in the vibration of the uvula (i.e. snoring). Even though light snoring may not be life-threatening it is a significant concern/disturbance/interruption for your significant other. However, where CPAP is not indicated or patient is intolerant, and your snoring advances into sleep apnea, that’s when you start getting worried and consult your doctor. Snoring & sleep apnea treatment cannot only alleviate symptoms of dirupted sleep but also improve your overal health.
(for mild/moderate sleep apnea and CPAP intolerant cases)
- Medical assessment by family doctor or sleep specialist, including sleep test.
- Referral and diagnostic reports sent to dentist (for mild to moderate OSA cases).
- Clinical dental examination.
- Fabrication and insertion of OSA appliance (follow up appointments are necessary).
- In severe cases, Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) or even uvula surgery may be considered.